Sunday, February 27, 2005

Bill Gates and governor's summit

My timing wasn't perfect this semester. Yes, Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles announced their (scandalous or just buffoonish?) wedding plans the week we discussed the British reaction to Charles' comments about meritocracy, but we read the prelude to the governor's summit a few weeks early, as it's this weekend (and focused, as predicted, on high schools). There are at least two decent reports of Bill Gates's talk to the governors (New York Times and Washington Post, though they may require registration to read), and if I can clear some other work, I'm inclined to draft an op-ed piece about this latter-day Adm. Rickover, or maybe it's James Bryan Conant or Milt Goldberg (the executive director of the National Commission on Educational Excellence, who really drafted the A Nation at Risk report). In any case, the advantage of teaching this course is that something is always bound to be happening that's tied to the class issues. :-)

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Adeline E. Brill said...

A report was posted on www.msnbc.com this morning. I have heard Bill Dagget speak to this same topic and I agree with teaching rigor and relevance to our HS students. Dagget works closely with the Gates Foundation and his Model School Conference addresses the smaller school issues. Check out his website at www.dagget.com Guess what state's governor did not attend the summit?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home