Governors: Testing, Testing and More Testing
Once again, politicians driven by economic conditions want to increase testing (such as in No Child Left Behind) to improve education. But this focus continues to take away from teaching and learning to teaching the test. It doesn't really matter that Jobs for the Future is trying to prevent jobs from being outsourced overseas. The same politicians pushing to "improve" education are fueled by cutting overhead and they'll still send our jobs overseas, even if they're high-tech IT jobs. Change driven by economics is not enough. Change must be driven by ethics and social responsibility. We can improve education by caring for the whole person, and changing laws so that our jobs will not be outsourced because of greedy businessmen.

1 Comments:
The same politicians pushing to "improve" education are fueled by cutting overhead and they'll still send our jobs overseas, even if they're high-tech IT jobs. You're not the only cynic in the class, if you've been reading the other entries, and I think a certain skepticism about ulterior motives is healthy. I certainly understand the reason for the general cynicism, but in this case there's less foundation for it than with other comments I've read this week. I think governors have less control over outsourcing than the federal government. (They have no incentive to encourage that behavior by corporations.)
Post a Comment
<< Home