Rosenbaum and Binder vs. Florida Chamber Foundation 2002
Rosenbaum and Binder have released a variation on a theme when it comes to the value of a diploma. By presenting employers’ point of view of their academic and skills needs, Rosenbaum and Binder have almost pulled the plug on Florida Chamber Foundation’s report. I state almost because the Foundation’s goals go beyond employee of youths and entry jobs. Rosenbaum and Binder have provided us with fuel for thought and action: employers do know what they want and need and are willing to invest to obtain the workers they desire, and employers have found today’s youth lacking in even rudimentary academic skills (math and English) necessary to handle entry level jobs. We cannot overlook the fact that many of these skills may not be necessary for the immediate job, but include requirements for higher jobs and advancement. Employers are investing their money and time by establishing relationships with schools, conducting job fairs, and developing recruitment strategies, such as internships and apprenticeships, instead of relying upon grades and diplomas to qualify potential employees.
In turn the Foundation is striving to “tailor education programs to business and communities needs,” and increasing the number of graduates, especially those who will go on to post secondary schools. I think this is commendable but businesses will have to be convinced that the diploma is an indicator of having met certain academic standards. In the meantime, Florida is looking to catch bigger fish then entry level jobs. Steps are being made in this direction and certainly targeting funding to improve performance through developing appropriate strategies will go along way towards meeting these goals.
I was a junior in high school when I got my first job as a switchboard operator and that was through whom I knew, my mother worked for the owner of the company. When I graduated from college, my first job only required a BA and passing a civil service exam; I don’t even remember a real interview. Since that time, each job I have had required extensive interviewing and often testing. I have been paid maximum salary due to high grades. In my current position, I received the maximum pay as the results of twenty-five years of experience. I imagine that is the equivalent of skills and they made sure I met their current needs.

1 Comments:
So is this an open competition or one organized by the WWF? (Oh, nothe day a student contrasts the WWF with a meritocracy, ...) Yes, you've understood why I assigned that article, now. Rosenbaum and Binder are much more skeptical about the formal schooling-employment link than human-capital writers.
Post a Comment
<< Home