Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Do Employers Really Need More Educated Youth?

Many employers think that in order to have the best employees working for them, those employees must have good academic skills. I think that these employers are mislead somehow. I think academic skill such as reading comprehension, writing with proper grammar and basic mathematics is an essential part of being a competent and efficient employee, however, I don' t necessarily think that these are the most important.

General job preparedness is what employers should be looking for. Example, arriving to work promptly, completing all tasks fully and thoroughly, communicating and working well with co-workers, etc. Many employers view good grades and academic achievement as a source of determination and motivation. If students succeed in school then they should succeed in the work force.

I think one of the problems that is prominent, though, is that many students do not take academic courses during the last two years of their high school careers. Many students take electives just to get through instead of taking an extra math or science course. Even though academic skills might not be the most essential thing to be a productive employee, it is definitely what employers are expecting to see from potential employees.

Students need to be prepared to enter the work force at an entry level position with a broad foundation of academic skills as well as office and employability skills. As a business teacher, I try to incorporate all subject areas into my lesson plans so students can apply their skills all together. If students can prove themselves in their entry level position, they will most likely have the opportunity to advance. The more students practice these skills, they more qualified they will become for a higher level position.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home