Monday, February 28, 2005

Charter Schools

I do not agree with charter schools. I do not believe that they better prepare students in academics than public schools. As I have stated in a reply to Mark's blog, I had a cousin who sent her daugther to a charter school when she was 8 (she is now 11) because she felt the school was failing her daughter of learning the proper academic skills. Her daughter attended a charter school for one year and her grades and academics did not improve. She was still struggling. So my cousin put her back in public school, finding out that her daughter had fallen behind other students in her same grade. She quickly learned that her daughter needed extra help. It was suggested that she spend more time at home reading and practicing writing.

I know that most charter schools are fairly new and are still in the process of writing and applying their policies, but since almost anybody can open a charter school and do pretty much what ever they want, I don't think these people necessarily know what children need in education. They may think they know, but they don't. Charter schools can hire whomever they wish, which is often underqualified teachers, and implement their own set of educational standards. Many parents think these charter schools are and send their children there because they are new and different, but they are quickly realizing that they can't judge a book by it's cover.

Most of the children who attend charter schools are children from poor backgrounds and underprivileged families. I think that it doesn't matter which schools they attend, they need to be practicing their skills at home and many children don't have a parent(s) to sit down with them and practice at home because because they are often working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home